I posted my last message late at night yesterday. On second reading, it wasn't very clear what I meant, right?
Let's take it one step at a time. The Akeeba Backup distribution is split in two parts: the component (Core or Pro, doesn't matter) and the administration panel icon module (mod_akadmin). The standard procedure is:
1. Install the component
2. Try running a backup. If you get a PHP4-related error, upgrade to PHP5 and repeat this step until there is no PHP fatal error thrown.
3. Install mod_akadmin and publish it to the icon position.
The icon module (mod_akadmin) can and will lock you out of admin if you have PHP4. The reason is that in order to check for out-of-date backups it has to load Akeeba Engine's factory class, which requires PHP5. Since this happens as soon as you try to access the backend control panel, if you have PHP 4 you are effectively locked out. The easy workaround if you do get locked out:
1. Try logging in to your site's back-end
2. You get a white page or an error page. This is normal. The Control Panel can't load, but Joomla!'s session cookie is set, so you are effectively logged in.
3. Visit http://www.yoursite.com/administrator/index.php?option=com_modules Since you bypass the administrator's Control Panel page, this one loads ;)
4. Click on Administrator, find the Akeeba Backup notification module and unpublish it
Nicholas K. Dionysopoulos
Lead Developer and Director
🇬🇷Greek: native 🇬🇧English: excellent 🇫🇷French: basic • 🕐 My time zone is Europe / Athens
Please keep in mind my timezone and cultural differences when reading my replies. Thank you!