Support

Akeeba Backup for Joomla!

#8949 – Infinite loop detected in JError - Mk II

Posted in ‘Akeeba Backup for Joomla!’
This is a public ticket. Everybody will be able to see its contents. Do not include usernames, passwords or any other sensitive information.
Saturday, 23 July 2011 13:32 CDT
wd5mush
I see that there was some unresolved discussion on the "Infinite loop detected in JError" topic back in March, and wonder if it has progressed.

Today I updated from 1.6 to 1.7. This worked OK, but there was a problem with the template I was using. I decided to try a different template and used Dreamweaver to manage some changes to the CSS and image files. I then synchronised my local and test folders. Lots of updates of course following the update from 1.6 to 1.7.

However, when I went back to my Admin page I got the dreaded 'Infinite loop detected in JError' message when I refreshed the browser.

I eventually decided to restore using the backup I made before doing the update. I did this using kickstart. I can now see my original front end pages, but still get the same error message when I try to view the Admin screen.

It looks as though something has not been overwritten or deleted when the backup was restored. Is that possible?

The only idea I now have is to do this manually by erasing all the files on my site, dump all the tables, and then try kickstart again. However, I have a feeling that is the way kickstart works anyway, so it might be panic time!

Any suggestions?
 
Saturday, 23 July 2011 13:43 CDT
wd5mush
Sorry folks, perhaps I should not be so quick to ask for help, but then this might be a clue to the root of the problem.

After posting my original message, I closed the browser page that was displaying the error. Checked the front was OK, then opened Admin in a new tab. This time I was able to log in and can now see the Admin page. Although I had done refreshes, I guess there must have been something left in the cache.

At least I am able to work again!
 
Saturday, 23 July 2011 16:37 CDT
nicholas
The thing is Joomla! 1.7 has completely broken the error reporting from the core. When any error occurs, Joomla! will show the unintelligent "Infinite loop detected in JError" message. Some mundane issues, like not being able to connect to the database, now throw this horrid error message (it's a stretch to call it "message", I'd just call it a piece of crap) making it outright impossible to debug such trivial issues. Unfortunately, we're stuck with that situation which drives us decades into the past, when it was impossible to diagnose any error due to lack of descriptive error messages.

Ah, Joomla! 1.7, what a progress...


Nicholas K. Dionysopoulos

Lead Developer and Director



🇬🇷Greek: native

🇬🇧English: excellent

🇫🇷French: basic



Please keep in mind my timezone and cultural differences when reading my replies. Thank you!



This ticket is closed, therefore read-only. You can no longer reply to it. If you need to provide more information, please open a new ticket and mention this ticket's number.

Support Information

Working hours: Typically we work Monday to Friday, 9am to 7pm Cyprus timezone (EEST). Support is provided by the same developers writing the software, all of which live in Europe. You can still file tickets, but we cannot respond to them, outside of our working hours.

Support policy: We would like to kindly inform you that when using our support you have already agreed to the Support Policy which is part of our Terms of Service. Thank you for your understanding and for helping us help you!