When I run Akeeba Extract Wizard on the jps file I get the error:
Can't read file header information; your archive is corrupt
When I run Akeeba Kickstart on the jps file I get an error similar to:
I remember a similar issue with Akeeba Backup for Joomla! (jps corrupted files although the error message was about missing part files) that was solved manually reinstalling the component. So I have tried uploading Solo files and overwriting the ones on my server but it has not fixed my issue.
jpa backups work fine.
The site is a Prestashop 22.214.171.124 site.
Please let me know what info do you need to check into this issue.
PS: Yes I have tested that password is correct several times (even copying and pasting from jps configuration!!)